Family Celebration Center
3220 Keswick Dam Road, Redding, CA 96003
Call us: 530-245-0821
Interested in learning more about us?
About Family Celebration Center
Family Celebration Center
3220 Keswick Dam Rd.
Redding, California 96003
The History of Family Celebration Center
In 1955, after co-founding and heading the PCG Indian Missionary Department since 1948, Rev. James James searched for a location to pioneer a new church and God lead him to Redding. God told him in prayer to go and wait for a man to bring him the deed to a property located on the corner of Lake Blvd. and Keswick Dam Rd. He was obedient to that direction and waited in his car for 30 days until a big green government car drove up. A man got out, told him he had been directed to make a delivery to him, and left. It was the deed to 5 acres of property, part of which the church sits on today.
After filing the deed with the county, Rev. James stopped at a hardware store, told his son he was going to learn to use an axe, and the two of them began a clearing in the manzanita and the scrub brush large enough to put up a brush arbor. It was in that simple structure, where the parsonage yard is today, that the church was born. Through summer and winter, heat and cold, the faithful worshipped God. Rev. James requested that tithes be paid in the form of building blocks for the new building and when there were enough blocks they applied tithes toward masonry.
On completion of the original simple block structure, Rev. James opened the church to any and all that chose to worship our Lord Jesus Christ. When God led Rev. James to leave Redding he made a gift of the deed to the Pentecostal Church of God as they were the organization that had made the most use of the building. Over the years the church has had a variety of name changes. Through them all, the church has been known in the community simply as Redding Pentecostal Church of God.
A building project was started in 1997 which added classrooms, offices, a fellowship hall and a kitchen. At that time the original building became the sanctuary and a foyer was added to the front of the building.
It’s from this history that we know without doubt that the church was ordained by God and is still being directed by God.
Rev. Tom Winslow began his pastorate on May 9, 2005 and with the Lord’s leadership began a transformation that is still in progress today. The name of the church was changed in January 2007 to Family Celebration Center to better identify with the pastor’s heart for the family. Work was started in the back of the property which will be Family Celebration Park. God has impressed Pastor Winslow that this will not only be a park but a garden. As the garden develops and grows God's footprint is indeed visible. It has become a place of peace and serenity which staff and members alike enjoy.
Under Pastor Winslow’s pastorate the church ministries have had new life breathed back into them. The goal for FCC is to be a "hospital" where those who have been hurt or wounded by "church" or the world can come to be restored, healed, and put to work for the Kingdom. The church’s motto is “It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish” and with that focus all ministries work hand-in-hand to make God’s church healthy and strong as we busy ourselves in His work waiting for His glorious coming.
FAMILY: Two or more people who share goals and values, have long-term commitments to oneanother, and reside usually in the same dwelling place.
CELEBRATION: To extol or praise
CENTER: A point around which something rotates or revolves